Marc Michielsen – Physiotherapeut – Bobath Advanced Instruktor IBITA
Marc Michielsen (PI), obtained a MSc in Physiotherapy (1988) and became an IBITA recognized Basic (2006, Switzerland) and Advanced (2015, Belgium) Course Instructor. His clinical career started at the Sint Maarten Hospital (Mechelen, Belgium) where he became head of the physiotherapy department in 2000. Since 2008 he is the head of the department for physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech and language therapy at the Sint-Ursula, Jessa Hospitals, Hasselt/Herk-de-Stad, Belgium. Marc’s emphasis through his career remained focused on neurological rehabilitation. Besides his clinical tasks, Marc is involved in educational activities at graduate and post-graduate level. He became member of the Education Committee IBITA in 2011 and was Chair of Education Committee IBITA till 2016. Since then he was/is member of the research committee and the qualification committee of IBITA. He is also a member of the external advisory board for the MSc programme of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences at KU Leuven.
Five main publications:
- Michielsen M, Vaughan-Graham J, Holland A, Magri A, Suzuki M. The Bobath-Concept- a model to illustrate clinical practice. Disabil Rehabil. 2019;41:2080-2092
- Vaughan-Graham J, Cott C, Holland A, Michielsen M, Magri a, Suzuki M, Brooks D, Developing a revised definition of the Bobath Concept: Phase three, Physiother Res Int, 2019, 1-10
- Brunner I, Skouen JS, Hofstad H, Becker F, Sanders AM, Pallesen H, Kristensen T, Michielsen M, Thijs L, Verheyden G. Virtual reality training for upper extremity in subacute stroke (VIRTUES) A multicenter RCT. Neurology. 2017;89:2413-2421
- Swinnen E, Lefeber N, Willaert W, De Neef F, Bruyndonckx L, Spooren A, Michielsen M, Ramon T, Kerckhofs E. Motivation, expectations, and usability of a driven gait orthosis in stroke patients and their therapists. Top Stroke Rehabil. 2017;24:299-308.
- Michielsen M, Janssens E, Bossuyt M, Cypers K, Daems G, Thijs L, Schruers E. JSU-Diagram: A guideline for treatment of the upper limb in stroke patients. Int J Phys Med Rehabil. 2015;3:1000280